Masters of Library and Information Science | May 2014
San José State University, San José, CA
Special Courses: Online Searching, Info. Organizations & Management, Info. Technology Tools & Applications, Social Media tools, Information Reference Tools, Cataloging & Classification, Drupal, Peer Mentoring, Virtual Internships
Bachelors of Arts | Philosophy and History | May 2010
Southern Virginia University, Buena Vista, VA
Special Courses: Spanish I, II, III, IV, Historical Methods & Research, Technology Tools
Web Systems Engineer
Analog Devices, Inc.
Nov 2015 to Present
- Maintain TMIS online systems & services across Linux and Windows platforms
- Overseeing and coordinate TMIS web development projects
- Evaluate potential new library systems and tools for implementation
- Creating and maintaining system documentation as needed
- Work collaboratively on digital initiatives in the TMIS group
Technical Services & Systems Librarian
St. Lawrence University
Sept 2014 to Oct 2015
- Manage University library ILS
- Overseeing and coordinate technical services projects
- Support resource description an access activities
- Staff training on current and new technology software
- Work collaboratively on digital initiatives in the libraries
LMS Graduate Assistant
San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
Sept 2013 to Sept 2014
- Acting Canvas Instructure liaison for all SJSU SLIS faculty and staff
- Acting primary for conducting all canvas training for SJSU SLIS faculty and staff
- Acting primary for Panopto training documentation for SJSU SLIS faculty and staff
- Responsible for back end and front end knowledge of LMS systems: Desire to Learn (D2L) & Canvas Instructure
- Develop webpages in CMS Drupal with use of HTML, PHP, & CSS, SFTP, Dreamweaver & Photoshop
- Conduct training sessions in Blackboard Collaborate to SJSU SLIS faculty & staff
University of California, Riverside, Riverside, CA
Feb 2013 to Feb 2014
- Acting primary Scotty/Millennium (web and character-based) support for technical services, circulation, course reserves, and e-reserve issues; general support of all Scotty/Millennium administrative functions
- Run and create multiple review files using Boolean search techniques to keep the ILS system records clean and up to date; helping maintain over 2 million bibliographic records
- Maintain frontend and back end of ILS client using CSS and HTML
- Support for all Millennium peripherals including barcode scanners, label printers, barcode duplicators, dot matrix printers, and receipt printers
- Microsoft 2013 liaison for all UCR library staff
Social Media Intern
Santa Clara County Library District, Santa Clara, CA
Aug 2013 to Dec 2013
- Completion of 144 volunteer hours
- Development of 6 month social media plan for Library district
- Daily involvement with Library Facebook page, Instagram & Twitter feeds
- Use of Facebook Insights & Hoot Suite for aggregated statistics on Facebook posts & Twitter feeds
- Lead on Facebook Campaign development
Library Director – All Campuses
West Coast Ultrasound Institute, Ontario, CA
Oct 2011 to Feb 2013
- Designed first ever campus curriculum tailored electronic research guides; included 16 guides across 6 majors & 12 courses by matching syllabi to available resources in the library including databases and circulating items as well as providing credible websites and links to open access material
- Implemented remote access authentication with OCLC’s EZproxy software Managed and supervise 3 campus locations through the use of virtual tools including WebEx, email, Google chat
- Designed over 200 web-based and print documents for advertising campus events, graduations, career services and recruitment needs using of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Publisher
- Head of collection maintenance and development which involved weeding collection of outdated and irrelevant items as well as researching and selecting new items to keep our collection up to date and suitable for accreditation requirements.
- Provide IT support as needed
- Built MySQL database queries for pulling special statistical reports
Director of Learning Resources
West Coast Ultrasound Institute, Ontario, CA
March 2011 to Oct 2011
- Initiated and took lead on the evaluation and integration of new ILS system (Mandarin Oasis) that saved over $100,000 over the course of 10 years
- Developed cataloguing policy and procedures for the library collection Presented information literacy and research workshops to over 2,000 students & faculty through use of PowerPoint, Prezi and Jing
- Developed an excel library usage tracking system to provide information on potential areas of growth and made recommendations
- Streamlined new student orientation program that was adapted across all campuses, introduced conducting quarterly surveys using Survey Monkey; resulting in a more efficient program
- Promoted after 6 months of work to Library Director over all campuses
Von Canon Library, Buena Vista, VA
May 2010 to July 2010
- Volunteered over 150 hours of work in archives and special collections
- Digitized over 400 historical documents for a budget friendly digital archives initiative using Adobe Acrobat
- Developed multiple resource guides for University courses in history, philosophy, theatre and law
Publications & Presentations
- Watkins, W. & Boman C. (2017, April) Purposeful Empathy: towards better processes and products. Electronic Recourses & Libraries, Austin, Tx.
- Watkins, W. & Bignoli C. (2017, March) #WomenInTech & Beyond: Interview and negotiation process, how not to lose your head. Code4Lib 2017 Annual, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA.
- [Panel] Watkins, W., Bignoli, C. Fallier, E. (2016, October) Don't Just Turn It Off and Back On Again: How library IT workers can use reference skills on the job. NELA Conference, Danvers, MA.
- Watkins, W. (2016, October) The Reference Interview: IT style. Access YFC, Fredrichton, New Brunswick, Canada.
- [Panel] Watkins, W., Byrne, G., Godfrey, K., Popowich, S. (2016, October) Libraries and I.T.: the struggle it is. Access YFC, Fredrichton, New Brunswick, Canada.
- [Keynote Speaker] Watkins, W. (2016, June) Solve the Problem of Now. EBSCO Presents. Ipswitch, MA.
- Watkins, W. & Boman, C. (2016, June) Library I.T.: Informtion Technologists or Information Thought-Leaders. ALA Annual, Orlando, Fl.
- Watkins, W. (2016, April) Teaching Coding Workshops, Electronic Resources & Libraries, Austin, TX.
- Watkins, W. (2016, March) Building Diversity in Your Conferene Community. Code4Lib Annual 2016, Philadelphia, PA.
- Watkins, W. (2015, June) Native Mac OSX: Marc Edit. Code4Lib North Conference, St. Catharines Public Library, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
- Watkins, W. (2015, April) Open Refine: Enhance your Sierra Admin Corner UX. Innovative User’s Group Conference. Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/nimblelibrarian/iug2015-watkins
- Watkins, W. (2014, December) Demystifying Code. Local Hour of Code event, St. Lawrence University.
- Watkins, W. (2014, Spring). An Internship in Social Media: what can you expect? SLIS Descriptor. https://slisgroups.sjsu.edu/alasc/wp-descriptor/?p=1073
- Watkins, W. (2014, May). Social Media Considerations for Virtual Worlds. Poster session presented at the meeting of the Virtual Center for Archives & Records Administration Annual Conference, SLIS Island in Second Life, Online.
Awards & Community Activities
- Boston LibTech Group, Organizer (2015 - )
- Mass Library Association, Tech Services Section, Vice Chair (2016- )
- Code4Lib 2017 Annual Conference, Program Committee, Chair (2016-2017)
- Writer/Content Contributor; LITA Blog (2015-)
- St. Lawrence University Innovation Grant recipient (2015)
- Innovative Users Group Code of Conduct Task Force (2015)
- LITA President’s Program Committee (2015-2016)
- Local Hour of Code, Event organizer & Committee Chair (2014)
- LITA Planning Committee member (2014-2015)
- NNYLN Professional Grant recipient (2014)
- UCR Staff Assembly Scholarship recipient (2013)
- St. Saffold Leadership Scholarship recipient (2013)
- Volunteer Teacher, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (2008-2015)